Thursday, May 22, 2008

MRS. DALLOWAY (Solitary Traveler)

I think It is very interesting after the dream of the Solitary traveler that Peter reminds himself of the ending point of his relationship with Clarissa. I feel like the Solitary man could represent Peter since a solitary individuals stated by the Wikipedia is someone who is not usually in the companionship of others of his type.

However, I feel like seek companionship but at the end those individuals always ended up by hurting him. In This Novel, Two women where mention to be in Peter’s life but both of them ended up by leaving him for someone with high position in society. I look at “solitary man” coincidence maybe not, since Virginia Woolf is a well- educated woman. Solitary Man is a title of music which describes the story of a man who life turned upside down between girls as he seeks for love.

This song is by Neil Diamond

Melinda was mine
till the time
I have found
Holding Jim
Loving him

Then Sue came along
Loved me strong
That’s what I thought
Me and Sue
But that died too

Don’t know that I will
But until I can find me
A girl wholl stay
And wont plat games behind me
I’ll be what I am
A solitary man
Solitary man

Ive had it to here
Bein where
Loves a small world
Part-time thing
Paper ring

I know its been done
Having one
Girl wholl love me
Right or wrong
Weak or strong

Don’t know that I will
But until I can find me
The girl wholl stay
And went play games behind me
Ill be what I am
A solitary man
Solitary man

This solitary traveler is a metaphor for what is clearly going on with Peter’s life. After, Peter left Clarissa’s house he cannot seems to stop thinking about her. Clarissa take over his train of thought, even external stimuli (object, material) reminded him of Mrs. Dalloway. For example the bells of Saint Margaret’s, the young women who he followed, and how he chooses as Peter look for seats in the park, he decided to settle besides a women and a baby that reminded him of Elizabeth.

After, the dream he remember of a day that he had dinner with Clarissa and they were talking of a women who got pregnant outside of marriage. That thought disgusted Clarissa. This very ironically because this reaction is the behavior of religious individuals for she is attracted to Sally, a women something that is against the religious beliefs.

Later after that conversation, Peter came to see Sally talking with Richard, he notice her maternal manner with Richard. This was the turning point of their relations for Peter knew already Clarissa will become Mrs. Dalloway.

It is just interesting how Virginia chooses to break up their youth love next the fountain in the park. The stream of water running down could be seeing as the flow of life taking its course, making its way to a new beginning. The separation between Peter and Clarissa is where each will take a separate route.

1 comment:

Faedhra W 6 said...

This piece is included in my portfolio because I was able to look outside of the box as I connected my author words, images choices with her time period by mentioning a famous singer.